Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Goodbye Maria Ressa

After years of being the head of ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs, Maria Ressa will be leaving her post by November 15, where Ging Reyes the ABS-CBN News Bureau Chief in North America will be replacing her.
(With Maria Ressa)

Ressa brings the power of citizen journalism and the use of social media in ANC where they pioneered Boto Mo i-Patrol mo, a tool that empowers citizens to report what is happening in their are that is hardly reach by the media. BMPM became a very important mechanism in monitoring elections and to expose anomalies in the government.

She filled her resignation last October 11, and officially announced it during the general assembly where reporters, employees and stakeholders are present on the said event. Here is the official statement of Maria Ressa in connection of her resignation (via ABS-CBNNews.com):

Dear Team,


There is a time and place for everything in our lives. My time and place as head of ABS-CBN News & Current Affairs is nearing its end.


My contract ends on Jan. 3, 2011, and I will not be renewing. I have nearly six months of accumulated leaves so I will go on terminal leave beginning Nov. 15.


It’s time for me to move on, but it’s important we transition properly and prepare our organization – and its new leader – for the challenges ahead.


Ging Reyes will be taking over as news head. She will be arriving in Manila on Oct. 18 to begin our transition. Home-grown ABS-CBN, she has more than twenty years experience as a journalist, the last eight years as North America bureau chief. Please give her your full support as she takes the helm of our multi-platform operations.


I want to thank you for six amazing, incredible years where we took risks together to help define the future of journalism and our nation. We decided to take a stand and say no to corruption; to embrace the growth of social media; and to join hands with citizen journalists to patrol our votes and our nation . Thank you for your trust and support, for following me even when I tilt at windmills.


Journalism faces challenging days ahead. Value and protect your editorial independence. I wish you clarity of thought, stamina, and courage to fight for what is right and avoid the compromise of mediocrity.


You have taught me so much about what it means to be a Filipino. While my time with this company is ending, one of the most precious things it has given me are our friendships, which I hope will continue to grow even when I’m no longer with ABS-CBN.


My very best,


Maria

(Dinner with Arwa Damon of CNN with Maria Ressa, Anne, and Lia Andanar-Yu)

For a person who looks up to her and had the chance to talk to her, it was a very unforgettable experience to be welcomed in her company. In my personal opinion she may be strict boss, but she knows how to open to people, she had taught me lots of things about citizen journalism and friendship. In a less that year of knowing her, for me it was a lifetime. I was grateful that I met her and looking forward in the future of more fruitful learning and friendship with her, which through her I gained friends in her news team.



Subscribe to my RSS Feed via email! Enter your email address below:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha Premium Blogger Themes | Best CD Rates | Seo Company | Seo Company Australia | Cheap Seo | Sports Live Stream | game cracks | Best Online Game | Download PC Games | List of Hobbies | Graffiti Styles